November 19, 2008

pastry foray

First and foremost, I love food. Point blank. I will eat practically anything. (Especially if it happens to be lemon flavored) I've always enjoyed food, especially making it with and for people. My friends and I love getting together and cooking big meals together. To me, food has always brought people together. Why do all of our holidays seem to have food as the centerfold? Because food is so damn delicious.

But personally, I enjoy cooking, but I find no greater joy than baking. Nothing puts a smile on your face more than the smell of a loaf of milk and honey bread wafting through the kitchen or the taste of a rich dark chocolate ganache generously poured over a moist cake.

Over the past year I have dabbled in the baking and pastry arts; namely bringing my confectionery treats into work. It makes me happy that people enjoy my food. I find no greater reward than the look on their face when they bite into a checkerboard sable or lick the remaining butter cream from their fingers. One day, one of my coworkers said "you know, you should just go to culinary school!" So I gave it some thought and figured, why not!?! I already love it as a hobby, why not make a living out of it. Of course I'm still 2 years shy of graduation, but my hope is that by that time I will have figured out if this is something that I really want to do. In the meantime, I want to share my pastry concoctions with not just my coworkers but to everyone else who enjoys sweets and savories! So I plan to dedicate this blog to my forays into the pastry arts from my very own kitchen. Please enjoy!

No comments: